Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Downfall of America

The downfall of America is not going to be caused by a lack of government-funded healthcare or bailing out industries x, y and z. The downfall of America is going to be caused by the laziness of our citizens - namely, our youth. I realize that I sound like a stodgy, old crumudgeon, but hear me out.

While searching for scholarships today, one of my students exclaimed in disgust, "WRITE A 500-WORD ESSAY? This says that you have to write a 500-word essay to get this scholarship!" My response, "Yes, that's pretty typical for a scholarship application."
"Yeah, but an ESSAY?! Are you kidding me?"

Nope. Not kidding. I know, how ridiculous that you might have to do a little bit of work to get free money. That is just the craziest thing I have ever heard!

Maybe the era of hand-outs & bail-outs is having an effect on our young people....

No comments:

Post a Comment